Sunday, December 3, 2017

Dryer Duct Update

Since I had absolutely no interest in watching the Packers this week, I spent the afternoon trying to fix the dryer duct coming out of the basement window.  From what I had done the day before, I had the end of the ductwork sticking up out of the window well like a chimney.  I had a cover on it, but it was turned vertical so the opening was exhausting horizontal to the ground.  After thinking about it, I didn’t think this was going to be a good idea, since it would allow water to possible fill the opening, and once the cold weather actually arrives (according to the weatherman, in two days) it could freeze shut, or fill with snow.  So, I had to come up with a different idea.

After some thinking, and going to Menards to see what sort of options I had at my disposal, my plan was to get a clear cover for the window like all of the other basement windows.  Then I would line up the duct, cut a hole in the plastic to fit the end of the duct out, and then put a cover on the end that would blow the exhaust down toward the ground, thus preventing snow and rain from getting in and also keeping the window well covered and keeping any moisture out. 

I also needed to put a small section of screen over the opening, under the louvers to keep out any “intruders”.  It actually turned out pretty well.  The only thing that I think I will need to do is to keep the window cover on year round.  Otherwise it may look pretty stupid having the end of the dryer duct just hanging over the edge of the window well.  It really should be cut thru the bottom row of siding rather than coming out of the window/window well, but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.  Hopefully this will be it, and then in the spring, I can repaint the window frames, and maybe replace the panes of glass with some glass block.