Saturday, June 2, 2018

Removing Tile

The task for the day was getting rid of the old tile backsplash since all the cabinets were down. The process seemed to go rather easy, except for one fact, I was taking off several large chunks of plaster with the tile. My belief, from what I have seen on home remodeling shows, was that you just slide a putty knife behind the tile, and it will just pop off. And that is what happened on a lot of the wall. However, in several spots it did not. I figured that it wouldn’t be a big deal since it is ultimately just going to be covered up with new tile anyway, so I could just replaster it, and it doesn’t need to look great. But I think it should at least end up being flat. That is going to be a problem since many of the sections are a couple of inches deep, all the way down to the gypsum board beneath. At least I think it is gypsum. The walls are very strange. They have what appears to be a thin lay of plaster, on top od a layer of what appears to be almost like a cement board. It has the consistency of cement/ with thin strands of mesh thru it, and that is all on top of what looks like gypsum board. The way they manufactured homes in the 50’s baffles me.



Anyway, in order to get a straight, flat wall, I will need to build up the holes. This is going to be a chore and a half since I’ll have to put up several thin layers to keep it from cracking/shrinking during the drying process, which will also put us back days until I can get the cabinets up, since I do not want to be sanding walls and creating a dust storm with brand new cabinets on the walls. Delays, delays, delays…. Why can nothing ever go smoothly?

0 comments: