Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fall Projects


Once we hit October, I start trying to get things prepped for the upcoming winter.  This means getting final outdoor projects complete.  I had given the driveway a coat of sealer at the end of August, but by the first week of September, the cracks were opening up again.  I figured there would be a few small cracks, there isn’t much you can do about that, but several quite large ones opened up.  I suppose it is my own fault for not trying to fill them with crack filler first.  So I spent the month of September slowly filling in some of the larger ones with about 4 gallons of tar/crack filler.  Once that was done, the driveway was ready for another coat of sealer.  Hopefully this will make it through the winter.

Once the driveway was done, I started the other project that needed doing, releveling the patio blocks.  I also dug out the corner to make it a full rectangle instead of having the small area “cut out”, which was done so there was some room at the swingset for the girls to swing without swinging over the patio.  I began to raise and relevel the blocks to slope slightly away from the garage.  I got 20 blocks done going from the garage apron to the side garage door, but had to stop because I ran out of paver base.  I went to Home Depot to get some more (I am going to need to make at least 4 or 5 trips I think) and they were out, completely out.  I was in a rush because I had to go get Sarah from cheer practice so I didn’t look for someone to ask if they were getting more, but if they don’t, I don’t know what I am going to do, because I can’t leave the patio like this all winter.  This may end up taking driving around the Milwaukee metro area and buying up all the paver base I can find. 

0 comments: