Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Milestone


Sarah had a milestone on Monday.  She was asked to Homecoming.  I had been needling her about being asked since the start of the school year.  It started out as “I am not going” and transitioned to “I’m just going with a bunch of friends”.  I kept telling her to just wait, that a boy was going to ask her, and now it has happened. 

Kris was talking to her about it, and I don’t think Sarah has any idea about what it means to be asked.  She was just like, “well yeah, I’m going”.  Kris asked if we needed to get a boutonniere for her date and she had no idea what it was, or if he was going to get her a corsage.  She had no idea what that meant.  I told her that when I was in high school, asking a girl to homecoming entailed taking her to dinner, getting a corsage, etc.  Then again, we made a big deal out of homecoming and the winter version (which we called Winterfest) because we didn’t have a prom, so maybe we went overboard.  We don’t know a whole lot about this boy though, mainly because he is a sophomore and is into BMX, which gives me pause.  But since he doesn’t drive, he’ll need his parents to drive him, which I guess is better than letting her go out unchaperoned.

She also told me on the way home from cheerleading that there was another boy who was planning on asking her.  Some boy who’s mother was helping him by getting flowers and chocolate in order to ask her.  I feel sort of bad for him because it sounds like he wants to go all out to ask Sarah.  Then again, you snooze, you lose.

0 comments: