Monday, March 20, 2017

DNA Model

We have reached the point where Alison is starting to get into doing the same sort of projects that Sarah had to do for school. For biology she has to make a DNA model. However, she has a different teacher than Sarah had, which means different requirements. When I helped with Sarah’s project, we made her model out of marshmallows, toothpicks, and floral wire. Ali’s teacher dropped the stipulation that they were not allowed to use food items. So that threw a wrench into things.

After looking over models online to see what sort of ideas I could come up with for her. I saw some pictures of people making their models out of paper when I thought that maybe we could do the same thing they had done by using PVC tubing. I thought we could cut a few lengths and paint them different colors for the different components of the DNA strand, and use small pcs. of wooden dowels to connect them. That was where we started. So we went to American Science and Surplus on the south side to see what we could get along those lines that would work. We have a couple of weeks to get it put together so when we finish, I’ll put up a couple of pictures.

0 comments: