Sunday, March 26, 2017

More DNA Supplies

I had to make a trip to the Science and Surplus store for more supplies for Ali’s DNA project. I think the tube idea was working well for the wrungs of the DNA ladder, but because the tubing was in coils, the cut pieces have a “curl” to them. So I think that I will need to put a wooden dowel thru the entire piece in order to straighten it out. Also, for her sugars and phosphates, we went with ping pong balls painted different colors. This is going to work out well I think, but the wires I had initially planned to run thru them are a little bit too stiff, so I have to look for a different type of wire for her. I think some 18 gauge copper wire would work well. It is stiff enough to hold its form, but flexible enough to twist without causing any problems to the rest of the structure.

It would have been so much easier using marshmallows. I think we are up around $25 or $30 now to make this model. She better get a good grade for this is all I will say.

0 comments: