Monday, March 20, 2017

Preparing for Tryouts

Since the Cheer showcase and the cheer banquet are now over, the next thing Ali has to look forward to is preparing for the 2017-18 tryouts. She had about a week off, but the date for tryouts has been announced, May 21st, which means beginning the process of getting ready for them. The biggest thing will be keeping her tumbling skills up for the next two months. And since the varsity squad is only losing three seniors (and I think there are two other girls who are not planning on trying out next year) there are going to be limited spots open. Additionally, the JV squad looked pretty good based on what we saw at the cheer showcase, so I think there will be some competition for spots, and just because Ali made varsity as a freshman, there is no guarantee she’ll make it again for next year. I like to hope she has an advantage since the coaches wanted her last year, especially after she didn’t make it initially, and was added to the varsity squad as an alternate. I hope she puts in the work and doesn’t get complacent, because I think if she ends up going back to JV next year, she’ll find it is a step down after spending a year on varsity. I want her to work at it, but I also don’t want to be the one pushing her, she has to want to do it. The big thing, I think, will be keeping Ali focused.

0 comments: