Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Fixing the Saturn… AGAIN!

When it was time to get the oil changed on the Saturn I asked the mechanic to look over the power steering lines. After the last time I had the oil changed, I asked to have the engine given the once over because there were oil spots all over the driveway, so there was definitely some leaking. At the time, he told me there were lots of little leaks, but it would really be a hassle/expensive to fix it, so since it wasn’t catastrophic, he recommended just keeping the fluids topped off and check it every week or two to make sure it hadn’t dropped too low. Which is what I was doing.

After having to constantly add power steering fluid every time I checked it, I figured that would be the worst leak that needed fixing, so I asked them to look at it. And I was right. There was definitely a problem with the lines to and from the power steering reservoir. Additionally, the front end (particularly the front passenger tire) was making a loud clunking noise periodically, that I assumed was not good. It wasn’t. The front swaybar link had completely broken. I was told it really would affect driving it, but it did make the loud banging sound, so I thought I had better get that fixed. It’s always best to have something that isn’t broken on the car, ya know?

I have two weeks to get it in and get it fixed before Sarah comes home for Easter. I am sure when she does get here, she’ll want to drive her car to visit friends, so I better get it taken care of now, or at least sooner than later. So more money getting tossed into it. Actually, with all the stuff we’ve done to it, it should actually run pretty well. I will need to look at maybe getting the A/C fixed though. But that’s going to be almost $1K, and I don’t know if that car is really worth it.

0 comments: