Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Zombie Car

As was reported there have been more problems with the Saturn.  Sarah informed me that her car was starting “hard”, and that it almost didn’t turn over yesterday.  Then she was running back to a store (maybe Target?) to return something and she walks back into the house saying she needs to take someone else’s car, because hers was dead.

I walked outside with her and she put the key in the ignition to turn it over and nothing. Not even a click. No dashboard displays came on, we was not able to put her foot on the brake and shift it into neutral… Nothing.  I told her to take my car and when she got back we would see if I could jump start it.  It made me mad because I had to take in a battery I purchased for it only about a year ago because it was no longer holding a charge, and they gave me a brand new one since it was still under warranty.  So I knew the battery WAS good, but now who knows.  Maybe there is something draining the power from it and that was why the old one was shot. 

When she got back, I told her to pop the hood and get ready to try starting it while I get my car in place to jump it.  She got back in and I though as long as the hood was up, I would take a look to see if anything was going on in the engine when she would try to start it.  I told her to turn the key and bam!  It started up.  So obviously it isn’t the battery that is the problem.  I was able to get it moved into the driveway for the night and I thought I would have a look in the morning. 

Morning came around and I went to move it so Kris and I could head to work, and it was dead again.  I put the key in and the display came on, but as soon as I turned the key, it was completely dead.  I pooed the hood and checked the battery connections, wiggled the cable a bit, and was about to tell Kris we would have to drive around it on the grass.  I went to show her that, yep, it’s dead again, and boom, started right up.  So now I am n\more convinced than ever there is something going on with the battery cables.  I am hoping I can figure it out to at least get it running for her, and then, I think that yes, it may be time to have a look for a replacement.

0 comments: