Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Chipmunks

Last week on Wednesday before we left for Kris’ uncle’s funeral, we were standing out front with Ali waiting for her school bus. All of a sudden, a little chipmunk comes cruising across the front yard and ducks in a hole behind our front porch. Then five minutes later it comes darting out and across the driveway into the neighbor’s yard an under their porch. Then over the weekend while I was working on the driveway we saw the chipmunk running back and forth between our yard and the neighbor’s. So Monday afternoon I finally pulled the trap out and we went to get some peanuts to bait it. I had the trap for only about an hour when it tripped. Unfortunately I forget to lock the doors, so the chipmunk got away. I fixed the doors and reset it, and again, it was only set for about an hour when I checked it and there was a chipmunk inside.

Since I am not allowed to kill any rodents, we put the trap in the back of the car, piled in, and drove to let it loose along the Bugline Trail.

When we got home I thought I had better reset the trap because where there is one chipmunk, there are usually more. When I got home from work yesterday I was informed that there was another chipmunk inside and had been there since at least 8:00 AM. Once again, we drove over to the Bugline to let it loose.

I have taken a day off since we didn’t get home until dark last night, but I will be resetting it shortly to see what else I end up catching. Maybe I should have used it earlier in the year to catch some of the rabbits that were living in Kris’s flowers this summer.

0 comments: