Friday, September 11, 2009

Community Organizing

Wednesday night I watched President Obama address Congress and once it was done, I was in a sufficiently bad mood. So as I was putting Alison to bed, I got a call from MU soliciting donations. Now while I understand the need to hit up alumni for money, I really hate having them cold calling me asking to donate hundreds of dollars. If I had it, I am sure that I would give them something, but I don’t, especially now.

So now I am in a doubly bad mood. No sooner have I hung up with MU than the doorbell rings, and it is some 20 year old kid from a “Community Organizing” group called Wisconsin Citizen Action. Think of it as Wisconsin’s version of ACORN. He starts trying to get me to sign his petition for health care reform and as I have had people from this group stop at my house before for other things, I knew he was going to ask me for money. Big mistake. So I stopped him about 15 seconds into his pitch and told him to just stop. While I agree that the health care system needs to be fixed, I am not about to give the government a blank check. I told him I am totally not on board with this plan the Dems are pushing as it is the first step toward a complete take over. And make no mistake, as soon as they get their foot in the door so to speak, it is only going to be a short time until they have their meat hooks in everything. Remember, Obama didn’t want to run a car company, but yet the government still owns OMC (Obama Motor Corp., formerly GM). But back to the story...

The kid has been trained well because he isn’t taking no for an answer. I got the pitch of “since you agree health care needs to be reformed, why not speak up with 100,000 other people so your voice is louder?” Well junior, it’s because you don’t speak for me. If your group believed the same thing I do, I’d be fine with it. But just because I want to see improvements in the health care system doesn’t mean I want the government to take it over, which is what you and your lib friends want. Putting my name on your petition would imply that I want to have the Government run the show. Sorry, I don’t. I am in touch with my Congressman (Sensenbrenner) and make my positions known to him. That is who counts. He is the one voting for me, not your fringe, kook group. I then tell him that I am completely 180 degrees from the point of view of everything Wisconsin Citizen Action is and does, trying to push a left wing agenda. So he asks me why. I proceed to tell him of my previous run ins with Wisconsin Citizen Action. I had some greenie kook trying to get me to sign a petition to stop the Crandon mine about 7 or 8 years ago, something I had no problems with going in. Then I had a run in with someone trying to get me to support a ban on handguns and concealed carry laws. Again, an issue where I amon the opposite side. So I told him, every time you people come around you are pushing these left wing, nanny state causes. Sorry, count me out.

That finally did him in and he left my porch. I could have been much more rude, and engaged him point by point, but I was in no mood and Ali needed to be tucked in, so i just let it go. Man, I am really worried about the direction this country is heading.

0 comments: