Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Proud of Myself

Since I finished the driveway Sunday night, I actually had free time yesterday. I spent it doing little “to do” items around the house. I fixed a shade in Alison’s room since the drawstring had broken. I have only been meaning to do it since May. I also bought an electronic timer switch for the lights on the garage. We had just some electric eye timers screwed into the fixtures but it was driving me nuts because one light was more in the shade of the house and was coming on sooner than the other one. And consequently, one was staying on later. After a lot of searching I found a timer switch that I could wire in and control both lights at the same time. Anyone who knows me knows that electrical wiring is the one thing I absolutely hate! I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined and able to figure things out pretty easily, but one thing I have never quite managed has been electrical wiring, so I was hoping that I could rewire the switches without causing an electrical fire. The problem is that the switches were all wired in series and with the jumble of wires in the switch box I couldn’t find which wire was the hot one. I really need to get myself a multimeter.

After about a half an hour I had it wired in, but only one light was working. After some thinking and trial and error, I figured out that I had the wire for one of the lights connected to the hot wire, and one not. What a pain. I finally figured it out and got the timer set, and everything is working fine (crossed fingers). Hopefully I won’t end up coming home one day to the garage on fire.

0 comments: