Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day

Last Friday Alison asked me if Kris's grandpa was in the service.  I asked why and she said she wanted to put a flag on a grave for Memorial Day.  I told her that, no, Kris's grandpa wasn't but mine was, and if she wanted to, we could drive up the West Bend and stick a little American flag in the ground next to his headstone.  I think the boy scouts usually put flags on all the veterans graves, but I told her it didn't matter, we still had a little hand flag left over from the 4th of July last year and we could still do it.

So on the drive up I told her all about my grandpa, at least what I knew from what I as told and from what I read in the letters he wrote home to his parents.  I am sure there are stories my dad could tell her, but at least in the car I had a captive audience.


When we were done she wanted to take a quick drive past their old house.  Sarah was along too, but I think she more wanted to just get out of the house.  At least Alison seemed interested in the stories I was telling as we drove around West Bend.

I have to ask though, why do we put flags on veterans graves on Memorial Day?  Memorial Day is supposed to be for honoring those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.  My grandpa, and many others in that cemetery came home.  Veteran's Day is the day to honor them.  I'm just sayin'.

0 comments: