Sunday, September 1, 2013

Not So Smart Smartphone

Last month when we got Alison her phone, I decided it was time for me to finally upgrade my phone.  So I got myself a smartphone, a Motorola Atrix to be exact.  It isn't bad, though it is taking a little time to get used to it.  and typing things on the touch screen has been an experience.  One of the main reasons I wanted one was so that I could finally stop hauling around my dayplanner with me to work, and I could keep all my work appointments in the phone.  

The problem that I discovered was that it didn't sync with the calendar on my computer (I use Thundebird/Lightning rather than Outlook).  I was able to find myself an app/program that would allow me to use my current calendar and contacts without having to upload everything to Google first, which is what I wanted.  However, it was only a three week trial.  Which was fine, I figured if I liked it I would just buy it.  

Well it turns out that the program is $30.  I am not about to pay $30 just to sync my calendar with my phone.  Does that make me stingy?  Well I uninstalled everything and tried to just go back to the old calendar program that came with the phone, but it turns out that it messed everything up.  It made double entries on some things, changed the color coding, mixed up the dates of thins themselves, and just pretty much made things unusable.  It took me half a day to go through and delete everything by hand, and now I will need to redo it all by hand, unless I can find something else that will sync my computer and phone calendar and address book. This smart phone isn't very smart right now.

0 comments: