Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Awesome Sauce!

I finally had the chance to get back to the cable TV store/office to take care of updating my service.  It was night and day difference from last week.  It must have been because it was the beginning of the month and people were going crazy either paying bills or bringing back equipment.  But today when I went in, there were two other people in the entire place, so I only had to wait for a couple of minutes.

The good news is that the guy got us switched to the “silver” programming plan.  Then I get a bonus…  As he is typing away entering whatever he needs to enter he says to me, good news, it looks like I can get you down to “X”, which is about $12 less than the girl I spoke to last week told me I would be paying.  Giddyup!  So I said, great, sign me up!  Then as he is doing his thing, I mention that the girl I spoke to last week said I would need to make an appointment to have a technician come out and replace my router because my basic internet package was going to be going up speed-wise from what TWC had us at and that my modem couldn’t handle that speed.  The Customer Service Rep looks it up and after about 10-15 seconds of reading to see what type of router I have, he says, no… it looks like your router will be just fine, no need to have it replaced.  WOOOHOOO!  More good news.  Looks like the girl I spoke to last week had no clue what she was talking about.

So then as the guy is reviewing everything on the updated service, he mentions the DVR.  We have a whole house DVR that can record 2 shows, which sucks because if you are recording two shows at once, the TV has to be ON one of those stations.  So we basically HAVE to watch one of the shows we are recording, which defeats the purpose of being able to record two shows.  So as he is reviewing things I interrupted politely to ask, is there a possibility of upgrading the DVR?  He tells me yes, we can get an “enhanced DVR” which records six shows and has more memory.  I asked how much extra that would be, and he says, oh, there is no extra charge for the upgraded DVR.  What???!!!  Then why didn’t I have this from the start???!!!  So I asked if it was possible to upgrade that, and he says certainly, but I’ll have to bring the old one in to swap it out.  No problem… but what about the stuff we have recorded on the DVR currently?  He says, Sorry, that would get wiped out, there is no way to transfer it.  He then also said if I wanted to do it, they have several units in stock right now, but they won’t last long, so if we want to do it, we should do it as quickly as possible because they can’t guarantee they’ll have one here for us if we bring our old one in.

So I spent the evening going thru the DVR and trying to record stuff on DVDs that we wanted to save, and delete the unimportant stuff, or stuff I could watch later On Demand if I needed to.  This had me up until just after midnight, but I think we are all set.  I’ll be heading out right after work to see if I can get the enhanced DVR.  They better have one in stock, because if I stayed up transferring content for nothing, I am going to be MAD!

0 comments: