Friday, May 12, 2017

Overbooked

Before going to Sarah’s dorm to start packing her things up, I stopped by the U-Haul Storage to check in and find out where I needed to go once we came back with Sarah’s stuff.  I tell the person at the counter I am here to “check-in” and find out where my storage locker is.  They ask my name, look me up and I get a “ohhh… I’m sorry but we don’t have a storage locker for you.”  My first reaction was, what the hell do you mean?  I am about to start loading up my daughter’s dorm room, I had better have a pace to put it, especially since I reserved this spot over a week ago. 

The manager comes over and explains to me that they didn’t have as many people “check-out” as they had expected, so unfortunately, they can’t give me the indoor storage locker I had reserved online.  But I can have a “U-Box” which is nothing more than a large, plywood crate that is on a large skid that ends up being moved with a big forklift and stored in a garage.  I wanted to pull a Seinfeld, and say “But I have a reservation”, but thought better of it.

I told them I suppose I’d have to take it since I just drove three hours and am about to start unloading my daughter’s room and I need a place to put it all.  I just don’t understand why I wouldn’t have been contacted when they realized that they weren’t going to have an indoor locker for me, and let me decide if I wanted to go with the box, or go someplace else and look for an indoor one.  Wouldn’t you think that would be the normal thing to do, rather than waiting until I get there to tell me?  This move isn’t starting out on the best foot right off the bat!

0 comments: