Thursday, May 11, 2017

Fixing The Ford

It is finally time to do some upkeep in the Escape.  I have had it now for just under six years and luckily, I haven’t had to do any major repairs.  Well that ended today.  I took it in a couple of months ago to have the oil changed, and I wanted my car guy to look at a rattle coming from the front end, and maybe check the alignment.  Well, the oil got changed fine, but I also found out that the front sway bar links needed to be replaced (which is what was causing the rattle).  And they didn’t even do the alignment, because the tires were worn and needed to be replaced.  He told me that it wouldn’t pay to do it because it would just most likely have to be done again when the tires got replaced.

So today was the day that all that was being done.  And I got a call when they were pulling everything off to have the tires replaced, to tell me that the front brakes were 90% gone and would also need to be replaced.  I suppose that makes sense.  The original tires on the Escape were 50,000 mile tires, and my odometer is at 55,800 currently, so it is obviously time to have the tires done, and if the tires are that worn it would make sense that the brakes would be as well. 

Everything is running good now, so hopefully I won’t run into any more mechanical problems any time soon.  The next thing that will need to be done is to have several rust spots fixed.  I figure I will have this car for at least another 5 years of so, so I will have to make sure it lasts.  I just hope the several small rust spots don’t end up turning into one large bill to get fixed.

0 comments: