Monday, May 1, 2017

It's Wet

Happy Spring!!!  It is raining like crazy outside.  We had a couple of warm, dry days and I thought that the back yard was beginning to dry up.  I even cut the grass for the first time.  However, with all the rain we have had the backyard is like a wet sponge right now.  How do I know?  I had to go and replace some blocks of suet in our bird feeders.  And in just walking back to them my feet were squishing like I was squeezing out the sponge when I wash the cars. 

The good news is that my grass is nice and green, even without fertilizer.  The bad news is that it is growing like mad!  It needs to be cut again, and I can’t do it until the ground dries up a little.  I think that when it finally is able to be cut, I’ll have to make at least two passes, because the grass will be too long to take it down to the length at which I normally cut it.  Maybe I can use the break in waiting for conditions to dry up as an opportunity to sharpen my mower blade.  I don’t think I have done that in a couple of years, so it probably wouldn’t hurt.

Additionally, I need to put down some seed to help fill in the bare spots.  I don’t know how much it will end up helping since in reading up on how to get rid of the moss in my grass, it looks like I need better drainage and possibly more alkaline soil, in addition to some more good topsoil to build up a few low spots.  But that is again all stuff I can’t really do until it dries out.  Although, with the ground as wet as it is, maybe I should use the opportunity to try and pull my fence posts back to being straight.

0 comments: