Sunday, June 25, 2017

Trimming Shrubs

One of my “to do” items for the summer is going to be ripping out the barberry bushes in front of the house.  But until I can get it done, I need to get them at least trimmed back.  Right now they are totally out of control, so I spent about 5 hours today with the shears cutting them back (and the yews and arbor vitaes too).  WOW!  I got two yard bags full of branches.  And I also found out that after cutting some of the stuff back, there are a lot of dead spots, and now that I cut things back, they are pretty visible.


There must have been a rabbit that was living under one of the arbor vitaes because there is a great big spot with missing boughs/branches that you can see now.  It makes me wonder if I should really dig out the barberries now.  Overall, the trimming they got is the equivalent to giving a hippie a crew cut.  Now I just need to block out some time to cut them off at the trunk and dig out the roots.

0 comments: