Saturday, July 14, 2018

Guardian Angel

Sarah began her clinicals today at an assisted living facility in New Berlin. She had to be there by 6:30 AM and was told that she could not be late. If she was late for any class or clinical session, she would be out of the CNA program, so she was freaking out about getting there in time. I figured it would take anywhere from 20-30 minutes to get there, but the fact that she had to be there early on a Saturday morning I didn’t think she would hit any traffic and it would be closer to 20 minutes than 30.

She left home at 5:45 AM, and I wished her luck as she walked out the door. Then at about 6:00 I get a call from Sarah’s cell phone and she was frantic telling me she had been in an accident. After calming her down a little, she said she had slid across the highway and slammed into the center divider. I asked if she could still drive the car and she said she thought that she could, so I told her to get to her facility so she wouldn't be late and I would drive down and have a look at it.

I should add that one of the things that had us looking for her to get a new car was the fact that my car guy told me the tires were worn and in need of replacement. The fact that there was a light rain overnight didn’t help because as she was on I41 going south around a turn just before Froedtert, she hydroplaned, hit the divider, and then said she spun around and went across all three lanes of traffic and ended up on the right shoulder. I would say she got VERY lucky that there was no traffic at that time of the day. I hate to think about what would have happened if there had been any other cars on the road, or even an 18-wheeler driving nearby. Things could have ended up much, much worse.

When I got to the parking lot of the assisted living facility, I was surprised that she was able to make it there. The front driver’s side tire was about 80% deflated, the hood was dented in slightly, and the right side of the car was scraped and dented (and the mirror was missing). I stopped in to tell her to call me when she was ready to come home at the end of the day and I would pick her up. I thought if anything I would drive the Saturn home and she could drive my car. And at worst, I would have to have the car towed.  Luckily I got the tire replaced and was able to take it home.

Kris's mother got her a Guardian Angel visor clip when she satrewd driving, and when Sarah got her license, Kris gave it to her to keep in the Saturn. I think she definitely had her Guardian Angel looking out for her today.

These are pictures right after I got the car home around 5:00 or so.  I don't know if you can really see it, but I think the frame is bent, because the hood it pushed in/buckled.  And I didn't take a picture of it, but the driver's side, side mirror is gone.  I am just happy that Sarah could walk away from it.




0 comments: