Sunday, March 28, 2010

Stupid Window

About 8 years ago we replaced all the windows in our house. Because of the number of windows and the cost, we went with an off brand from Home Depot. We have had no problems with them at all until about a month or two ago. The window in our upstairs bathroom broke. Instead of having compression springs as I would be accustomed to on an old double sash, these have coiled springs. And I think because of the fact that the window is opened every single day, a result of not having an exhaust fan in there to help get rid of the moisture from showers (my next improvement project) the springs broke. First on one side, then the other. Now because of where the springs are, the window will only open a few inches, and I have to prop something under it to keep it open.

So a couple of weeks ago we went to home depot and I got the number for the window company to see if this was something I could fix myself or if I needed to get a service person out here. They told me that it was something they could send me the spare part for and I could take care of replacing it myself. So the parts got here last week, but I didn’t have time to switch them out until last Saturday. Well when I finally got around to doing it when I got home from work Saturday I discovered that they neglected to send me the instruction sheet for how to go about replacing the balances. I picked up the phone to call them (11:00 Saturday morning) and oh... So sorry. Their normal business hours are Monday thru Friday, blah, blah, blah....

So then I thought, hey I should be able to figure this out. It looks like a pretty simple fix. Well I was wrong. I started loosening screws, and sliding things around. After about an hour I finally gave up on it. What a drag! Now I have to wait at least another week before trying to fix it again. I’ll have to call the company this week and try to see if this is something they can just send me, or if I can maybe download it from a website someplace. At any rate, I have to wait longer before fixing my window!

0 comments: