Saturday, November 3, 2012

Halloween 2012

Halloween 2012 has come and gone.  I think Alison wants to go trick or treating one more year.  That was what Sarah did, even though she went when she was in 8th grade, but that was just sort of a last minute thing, and she didn't go around the neighborhood, it was just a few houses with friends as they were walking back to one of her friends' houses.

This year the time was shortened from 5:30-7:30.  It was a rush getting home from work and helping Kris get Alison ready.  In fact, this year, Alison didn't want Kris and I to take her, so instead, Sarah served as her chaperone.  She left at about 5:50, and was back here around 7:00.  She went as "Morticia Adams".  I think that was the costume Sarah used when she was in 5th grade.  I could go back and look, but I'm too lazy.


So I stayed home and with Kris and handed out candy to kids.  I was surprised that there really weren't that many kids.  We had a big push for about a 35-40 minutes, and once we got to 7:00 we didn't have any more trick or treaters.  We also had a couple of little kids ask if Sarah was home.  I had no idea who they were, and Sarah obviously didn't either.  We even had one of Sarah's teachers stop by with his son and ask if she was home (it's no big surprise though, because he lives right down the street).  And this year, I don't think we had quite as many older kids as we have had in the past.  Does that mean that we are getting old and all the kids are moving out of the neighborhood?  hmmmm.... 


 This was Alison's booty for the night.  Not bad for about and hour's work.

And of course, it wouldn't be a good Halloween without getting compliments on my jack o'lanterns.  I counted six compliments from parents and at least three or four kids who were impressed enough to say "wow, cool pumpkins".  I even spent a couple of minutes talking pumpkin carving and preservation with one guy, giving him tips on how to make them last without drying out.  I guess that makes me quite a nerd.

0 comments: