Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Teacher Conferences

We had Sarah’s teacher conferences a couple of weeks ago at the high school.  It was quite interesting meeting her teachers since we couldn’t make the open house in September.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Sarah has taken quite an interest in science and math classes.  I suppose that’s because those were the subjects that always interested me.  And I think her teachers in those classes are very enthusiastic about the material they teach.  That also makes a huge difference.

We also found out that Sarah is going to be eligible to take AP courses in her junior year.  That would be a big plus for her I think, especially if she ends up going to a state college/university.  When I went to UWM, the biggest waste of time (and one of the reasons I didn’t get my degree from there) was the first two years of general classes that had absolutely nothing to do with your major.  If Sarah can get those out of the way in HS, and get college credit for them, she can start right in on classes that will help toward he major, and that will put her in better shape in the long run in terms of graduating on schedule.

But enough of that, the main thing is that she is getting an A- average right now, which is a good thing and her teachers all say she is keeping up with her work just fine.  So for now the worry level is low for Kris and me.

Alison's teacher conference was about a week earlier than Sarah's.  It was actually in October which just shows how far behind I am in keeping things updated.  We met with Alison's teacher and went over her work so far and just like always, we received glowing reviews.  Alison came along to help her teacher present some of her work so we could see what she has been doing.  Her teacher said that she is all set to start middle school, which I guess is what we are shooting for in 5th grade, right?

0 comments: