Saturday, October 26, 2013

Final Day

Yesterday was my final day of work at KBI.  It was a long time coming.  Quite ironically, it turned out to be my ten year anniversary there.  The actual date of my ten year anniversary would be the 27th, but since that's on a Sunday, it turns out that ten full years would have been yesterday.  So on the day I am leaving I was given a $50 gift card as a gift to celebrate my ten years there.  

I had a couple of things to finish before I left, but starting at 10:00 my day actually got rather busy.  I had to do an exit interview with the HR director that I was planning on taking an hour or so, but it ended up taking two hours, which took me right up to lunch.  My new boss was buying me lunch as a going away gift, so from the exit interview I went right to lunch.  After lunch I was back to trying to finish my workload, which was trying to have things complete and set-up for whoever would be taking over my duties on Monday.  Of course everyone had to come and say goodbye to me and make a little small talk, like where are you going, what are you going to be doing, etc. which made me get even farther behind.  Luckily I was able to finish things by 5:30, because as soon as I got home I had to drive Sarah to the Falls' football game.  Any later than 5:30 and she would have been late getting there.  As it was, it didn't much matter because the Falls choked and lost in the first round of the playoffs. 

But leaving KBI did make me a little sad.  Not so much for the people I was working with, but for all the time and energy I put in there.  I feel like a lot of my time ended up being wasted.  I should have left a couple of years ago.  

So on Monday I start at my new job, and I couldn't be more excited to get to a place where there are actual engineers who do engineering work.  It's about time. 

0 comments: