Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Back to the Oral Surgeon

First thing Monday morning I ended up calling the oral surgeon.  Sarah came and woke me up at 2:00 AM complaining that her mouth hurt.  She was in tears, it hurt so much.  I asked if she had taken a pain pill (Vicodin) before she went to bed.  She hadn't.  So now she was going to have to wait 40 minutes to an hour for it to take affect.  In addition, she was told not to take any of the pills on an empty stomach, so she needed to eat something before I could give her one.  When I told her this, I got "but I don't want anything to eat".  Well then you don't get a pain pill!  I had her just eat a cup of pudding quickly, and then gave her a pill, and sent her back to bed.

She was awake by 7:00 AM (which is completely unlike her) so I knew something was still wrong.  She said the Vicodin didn't help at all and she was awake most of the night.  So after hearing that and conferring with Kris, I called the oral surgeon as soon as they opened at 8:00.  When I descried the pain she was having, they said it sounded like a dry socket.  We went in at 10:00 and the doctor was going to have a look and if it was a dry socket, he would just pack it quickly and she'd be done in 15 minutes.

We got there and she went in by herself, but I could hear the nurse asking her about what was going on.  Then the doctor came in, and got the same story.  He apparently didn't even examine her mouth, he just went right in and started packing her lower left jaw.  She was done in 10 minutes and he said she should feel better in 10 to 15 minutes, but that then she may notice the other side more and be back to have that side packed the next day (with a smile of course). 

He was right, after about a half an hour she was out of pain, though she was still a little bit swollen.  She kept ice on her face most of the rest of the day to get the swelling down, so we'll see how much that helps now.  Hopefully that will do the trick and when she goes for her follow up on Friday everything will be hunky dory.

0 comments: