Wednesday, May 5, 2010

First Communion

Ali’s first communion went off pretty smoothly. I don’t recall any glitches, other than when the kids were doing their baptismal vows. This was something that wasn’t covered in dress rehearsal, I think because the priest wasn’t there for the rehearsal. He had another commitment, so he wasn’t able to attend. So when it came time to have the kids stand and affirm their baptismal vows, the priest had to explain what they needed to do after he asked the first question. Then, after he got thru all the questions and was finishing up, instead of saying “Amen”, the kids all shouted “I do”, which got some good laughs from the congregation. The pries then explained that they were supposed to respond with Amen, and repeated the final part. Again, instead of Amen, several kids said “I do”, including Alison. She turned bright red and shrunk down in the pew.

When it came time to actually receive, Alison did a great job, especially handing a full chalice of wine.


Afterward, we took a few photos in the church, but then headed back for some lunch. We made sure the get a picture with Ali and everyone that came to celebrate with her. At least we thought we did until I downloaded the pictures from my camera. I was missing a couple of pictures and I realized that I was watching my aunt take them at the time before I had my camera out. So now I have to make sure I get in touch with her and have the ones I am missing emailed to me.

Ali had a great time. The only thing that was driving me nuts was that the girls were running around outside and it had rained the night before. While it wasn’t real muddy, the dirt was wet, so that when they were running in and out of the house, they were getting little bits of mud all over the floors. This is one of my pet peeves and it took all my restraint to not get out the floor cleaner and start scrubbing. I figured there would be plenty more and I just needed to wait until everyone had left to clean.

0 comments: