Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hornets

Last weekend while getting the lawn mower out of the shed behind the garage, I was welcomed by being buzzed by a wasp, or was it a hornet? or yellow jacket? I can't tell them apart. There was a nest being made in the ceiling just inside the door. I sneaked in, got the hornet and wasp spray and shot it down. This was the second time in two weeks I have had to get rid of a wasp's nest.

So tonight after getting back from our walk, Kris was tending to her flower pot on the front porch. As she was, I noticed a wasp land on the porch railing and proceed to walk into the opening in the siding where it is mounted to the house. I walked a little closer to take a look, and yep... There was a nest being made just inside, under the siding.

Another shot with the wasp and hornet spray took care of it, but now I think I really need to give the exterior of the house a good once over. I have a feeling this is going to be like summer three years ago. We had wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, bees... everything. I think I knocked down five separate nests that year as well as cleaning out traps very two days. I'm not going to be looking forward to this summer if this is going to be the case.

0 comments: