Thursday, April 28, 2016

A Bird Exploded

I was at work today when I got a text message from Sarah saying that a hawk got a bird in the backyard.  I asked how she knew that and she said it was because there were feathers all over the backyard.  At first I thought, "Are you sure it was a hawk?" because we have had neighborhood cats (or maybe feral ones) get birds in the backyard before.  I thought that I would just wait until I got home and see for myself what she was talking about.  This is what it looked like when I got out of the car:



Yep, definitely doesn't look like a cat got it.  The birds that I know cats got left much more of a carcass.  This looks like someone stuffed a firecracker in the birds beak and lit the fuse.  And after seeing the feathers, my first reaction was good, it was a grackle and not a nice song bird.  I hate those stupid grackles and I think we could do without another one of them.  I am not sure exactly though where it was eaten.  All I could see was the pile of feathers, no other body parts.  Maybe it just got snagged in the yard and it flew off and ate it someplace else.  Either way, I suppose I'll have to look thru the grass.  I wouldn't want to run over a bird head when I am mowing the lawn.

0 comments: