Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Random Things About Vacation

There were lots of little things I noticed while in Florida that were not really enough to make a full entry, so I thought I would combine them all into one, large, random entry.

First, while at Epcot, Sarah and I were waiting for Kris and Alison. There was a squirrel running about and some kid was trying to feed it. Sarah tried to give it a few pieces of popcorn. Well after a minute or two is decided to bolt. There was a guy walking toward us, and he saw the squirrel. He freaked because it was running right at him. It was funny because this guy looked like a "barbell boy" and here is was running like a little girl from a squirrel.

He looked at me and said, "what's the deal with these crazy squirrels around here?" I just said, "I have no idea man." Then he turned to find his wife and kid and started telling them about the crazy squirrel that was after him. I just had to laugh. DUDE! It was a squirrel! You could have just stepped on it for cryin' out loud! Grow a pair why don't ya?

Next, fire ants. My dad was telling me all about the fire ants he gets in his grass and that if we go walking in the grass, we would need to watch out for them. Well it is a good thing. I had always thought fire ants were much bigger. But one night Ali wanted to go swimming after the pump had shut off, so I asked my dad where the switch was to turn it on manually. Sarah went out the door of the lanai and says to me, she thinks there is fire ant nest there. I told her that she was ridiculous, that I didn't see anything. Well I walked over closer, and there was one there, just starting. Dad got out his Othro and gave it a good blast. But the next day we were taking a few pictures outside, and we came across another one. I tried to take a picture, but I don;t think you can see the ants very well.



I don't know how you live with that. Every day there is a new ant hill and if you forget to look where you are stepping, you can be in a world of hurt. No thanks!

Next, I have to say I was rather surprised at the size of the crowds at the Disney Parks. It did not seem to be crowded at all. I was expecting with the start of school right around the corner, that the attendance at the parks would be huge. But the longest we had to wait in line was about 30-40 minutes. Most waits were in the 15-20 minute range, if we had to wait at all. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or if that is what it is like there every August.

Also, we had our picture taken at EPCOT by one of the photo pass photographers. She asked where we were from, were we enjoying our stay etc. Kris happened to mention that we were just hoping the rain held off. She said the day before they had no rain at EPCOT. But at the Magic Kingdom, it poured a couple of times. Amazing that only a couple of miles away they had none.

The weather in Florida was very tropical, clear skies one moment, 15 minutes later, torrential downpours. It reminded me of the weather in Jamaica on my honeymoon. I was just happy that it was warm this time.

This was the first time that we have flown Southwest. I am not sure what I was expecting, but it really wasn't all that bad. we got on quickly, and got off rather quickly as well. The seats were a little bit cramped, but overall I can't complain. I would consider flying Southwest again.

While walking down at Sumter Landing, we saw a couple of big snapping turtles in the weeds along the boardwalk. Not that this in itself is very surprising, I just can't remember the last time I had seen a snapping turtle. I believe they were alligator snapping turtles. At least they weren't alligators right?

Kris and I took a walk around The Villages Friday, first at Sumter Landing early in the day and then around Spanish Springs later in the evening. The people we ran into were all very friendly. everyone was saying good morning, or hello. I guess they deserve to be called Florida's Friendliest Home Town.

We stopped in a shop called Nantucket Bay Friday looking for a present for Kris's friend for watching Gizmo while we were gone. The woman behind the counter was very friendly, like all the other residents we met. When it came time to pay, Kris gave her a rebate debit card that we had with her name on it. The woman looked at it and asked if our last name was Hahn. I wanted to say "DUH!", why would we be using a debit card with someone else's name on it, but I just that would be just rude. But it was interesting to find out that Hahn was the name of her first husband (she was from Virginia). She asked if it was an uncommon name where we were from because she had never just run into any other Hahn's. She then told us that her son's name was Dennis, Dennis Hahn. Again, only interesting because I don't have that common of a name.

Last, but not least, I swear Florida's economy is being propped up by pawn shops and tattoo parlors. When we were driving around outside of the Villages, it looked like about every other block contained one or the other. I guess the people don't have anything to do except sit on their buts and collect welfare, OR go take their welfare checks and get themselves a tat.

That is all for now.

0 comments: