Monday, May 30, 2016

Patio Problems

As was stated, there were several patio blocks that needed to be releveled due to the Wisconsin winters and tree roots.  As I was taking them apart a row or two at a time, I noticed that some of them were very, very dirty.  The glazing had been completely worn off and dirt was more or less soaking into the brick.  So as I was taking them apart, I also was washing every one, by hand.  It would have been much easier using a power washer, however I did not have access to one (mine is a bit broken) so I had to scrub them all individually.  This also meant that Kris wanted me to go about resealing them all.  I guess I needed to do it anyway.  As it is, I don't think that I will be able to replace any of the bricks if I needed to.  I haven't seen the style anywhere since about a year after I originally laid them.  So if it ever came to having to replace one, I would have to replace all of them, all 150.  So then that would mean that it would be a pretty penny to have them replaced. 

Ultimately it took a total of about 45-50 hours over the last week to get them taken apart, wash, and relevel them all.  The easy part as putting the sealer on, which we were able to do, just in the nick of time.  It rained the next day, so it had time to dry.  Overall, I think that it turned out pretty well.  Hopefully it will last so I won't have to do it again anytime soon.

0 comments: