Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Down The Drain

For the last couple of months we have had a slow drain in the bathroom downstairs.  It is something that happens from time to time and I usually just put some drain opener down the pipes and it will clear up.  The last couple of times it didn’t really help much though.  The last time, I took a snake and ran it down the drain first, but I didn’t get anything out, so next was the Liquid Plumber.  It was supposed to sit for 15 minutes and then get rinsed down with hot water.  I let it sit for almost 30 minutes and then rinsed it, but it didn’t clear out.  In fact, it backed up into the sink.

I tried snaking things again but didn’t have any luck.  I let it sit overnight, and by the time I got up, the sink had drained, but it is still draining slower than I think it should.  I think the problem is that the pipes need to be replaced.  I don’t think it would be all that difficult to do since the main, black drain pipe, is right below so there wouldn’t be that much of a replacement length needed.  What would be needed however is ripping a hole in the wall to do it.  That is what I really don’t want to do.  If I do it, it will start an entire remodel of the downstairs power room, which will be much more of an issue than I am currently prepared to undertake.  Plus, there are other, more pressing issues that need to get done.  So for now we’ll deal with it, but don’t be surprised to see something about me taking a sledgehammer to the wall if I just can’t take it anymore.

0 comments: