Sunday, April 1, 2012

Easter Eggs

Since I am going to be laid up over Easter weekend, I told Alison I would color Easter eggs with her Sunday when I got all my work done around the house.  It turns out that was about 4:00.  The coloring kit Kris bought had 12 color tablets, but we had a little issue with containers for the dye.  So we ended up using Solo cups that we could just toss out when we were done.  However, we had one small problem.  Well, actually three problems.

First, was that it was very difficult to get the little egg wire down into the cups.  Second, was that the cups were not narrow enough to cover the whole egg.  So the eggs needed to get rotated in order to get a good, even color.  And thirst, the cups were a little too tall.  More on that momentarily.

I discovered that in trying to rotate the eggs in the dye, the wire would scrape and rub the shell, scraping the color off.  So now instead of a nice, deep, even color there were scrape marks of a lighter color.  It made the eggs look very bad.  But I thought I would just make the best of it. 

Right after Alison and I started I called Sarah, who was next door, and asked her if she wanted to help as well.  She came home and started grabbing eggs and dropping them in cups.  I told her to just wait and I would help her, but she didn't want help.  This leads to problem three.  She was having problems keeping the eggs on the egg wire from the coloring kit.  So when she was trying to put one egg in a cup, the egg fell off hitting the inside of the cup, knocking it over and spilling dye all over the tablecloth, which is what I was trying to explain to Sarah before she dumped it.  Sarah complained that I was taking all the fun out of coloring eggs, so after cleaning up I told her that I was now done and she and Alison could do it, but should any more dye get dumped, I would be kicking someone's backside. 

Approximately five minutes later, another cup of dye was dumped, this time all over Alison's clothes, and the floor.  That was the end of the eggs.  I finished up the couple that were left and Sarah received a bit of a tongue lashing.  I think this may be the last year for coloring Easter eggs.

0 comments: